I woke up early today! Pretty amazing...well, Greenfield, Martha, and I went to Mass for Ash Wednesday. Although i'm not Catholic, I thought be a very interesting experience to just attend and observe the religious rites that go along with one of the main religions in the world. It was held in Basilica di San Pietro, a God-fearing place by far but also a repository of such great art and architecture. We sat about seven rows back as a substitute cardinal (il Popolo Paolo Giovanni il Secondo was still sick) presided over Mass. Thank goodness, the religious dignitaries centuries ago converted Mass to the vernacular, Italian, instead of Latin; otherwise, I wouldn't have the slightest idea what they were speaking and singing about. To my surprise, I found out later that CNN had panned over our section during Mass.
After Mass (it only lasted an hour), I got some more delicious bread (bigne) from the panetteria. I decided to take a trip to the Pantheon and the piazza surrounding it. Walking around the formerly pagan museum and eyeing the tombs of Raphael Santi and Vittorio Emanuele still puts me in awe. Not to mention, the oculus which is bigger than St. Peter's! I finally found Tazza d'Oro, el mejor de todo mondo, and it was really good. I got a caffe the first time, but I took Greenie there during break for a cappuccino. Molto bene!!! We found a gelateria that served delicious gelato (panna cotta and mango) and another pizzeria with good mushroom slices. Before class, I just lounged by la fontana (fountain) in front of the Pantheon and commenced with Angels and Demons as I hope to finish it soon. I can't explain how wonderful or relaxing it felt to be sitting in the sun around some of the greatest historical monuments, and just doing some leisurely reading.
After class, we had our mixer with some Italian students. Although they were considerably older, it was nice to help them with their English while I practiced my Italian. However, I must say that i'm not feeling the waterfall (codeword for mullet).
We went to Abbey Theatre for a drink afterwards. It was very chill and I enjoyed helping Bill out with his career ambitions. Furthermore, it felt nice to just talk about random things over a drink.
I was craving a kebab when I got home, and was molto felice when I was able to satiate my hunger. After, I hopped over to Lisey's apartment for the Wine and Cheese Party. There were lots of people there and we had a blast. I know, we sound like yuppies, but it was actually a fun experience.
New phrases:
"Cosa Sempre" (Amber)
"Mi piace" (song from class...too poppy)
"NorthFace" and "Pace Fuori" (attributed to Katie, the amante of Italian men)

No comments:
Post a Comment