Today was quite an interesting day! (currently listening to Dean Martin's "Volare") I woke up early and went to the open-air market and got some wonderful prosciutto, ricotta cheese, and clementine oranges. It was fun practicing my Italian. Furthermore, I discovered this great panetteria down the street on Via Candia. The Pelle Russa or so it says was delicious and hot! However, my clothes shopping did not pan out as well as I hoped it too because European fashion as I recently learned needs some more patience. Thankfully, I found a sweater to keep me warm during the day and occasionally throughout the month.
I got a chance to visit St. Peter's and chill there for an hour or so. The size and intricacies of that place still haunt me. Some bad news I learned today was that the papal audience for tomorrow would be cancelled since the Pope was sick. Hopefully, he'll get better despite the fact that he's feeling the effects of the flu...he's 84 so it must be hard for his immune system. On a brighter note, i've decided to buy some bread one day and feed the flocks of pigeons that prance around the piazza.
Class was chill as usual. No compiti...Nadia, our teacher, was tight today! For break, Jessica, Greenie, and I got some more cioccolata from the Il Bar Pantheon. I had the La Cioccolata al Caffé, quite rich but good.
After class, we had a wine tasting lecture taught by a connoiseur, who writes for one of the famous magazines here in Italy. It was really neat because we learned how wine is made, how to smell and taste it, and what to look for in a good wine. Note to self: 2002 is a bad year for wine but 2000 was a good one! To top it off, we went and bought some Aglianico del Vulture (red wine) from the Enoteca del Corso afterwards. At night we watched the Graduate (praise to Simon & Garfunkel for a good soundtrack and Dustin Hoffman for a stellar, young performance).

No comments:
Post a Comment