Sunday, October 15, 2006

Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins


(pic from the concert this past Friday...I was surprised to be even able to take it given that security was being quite restrictive of photo-taking)


Joanna, a good friend of mine from UCLA, stayed at my place this week. She was here for her med school interviews and she'll back in 2 weeks for more (let's all wish her good luck with that so i'll have another concert buddy and beer pong partner next year). Anyhow, Joanna found out that Jenny Lewis would be in town this weekend, but I didn't think we would be able to get tickets given the short notice. Q: So what does any desperate ticket-seeker do when they are faced with such a problem? A: Craig's List and Ebay (if you got the dough). I saw only a few postings, so I thought supply would be invariably low. Luckily, the simple rules of Economics 101 were working in my favor and demand was not high, or possibly because I checked at 3AM. I called and got two tickets for face value! Since work had been crazy all week, I wasn't sure if I would be able to go. However, on Friday, at about 5PM, my cool, genius associate said that we would take care of any "heavy lifting' over the weekend. Booyakasha!

Back to music, most people probably know Jenny Lewis as Rilo Kiley and she's also the memorable female vocalist on the Postal Service's Give Up album (btw: new Postal Service album out in 2007 = del.icio.us). Tacitly, she's the unwritten indie queen or goddess (Leslie Feist is a goddess as well in my book), whatever you prefer. Well, she came out with a new album this year called Rabbit Fur Coat and even though I haven't listened to it in its entirety, it has a great sound (seriously, 2006 is all about female vocalists...i.e. Cat Power, Neko Case, Joanna Newsom, Charlotte Gainsbourg, etc.). Her influences include late 90's music, hip-hop, and female country singers, which in my mind is a great combination. For all those country music haters, check out her album...you might actually like it).

Jenny Lewis - Rise Up With Fists!

(she's an atheist)

She has a new single out called "Fernando" that hopefully i'll be able to post shortly.

No comments: