Thursday, October 05, 2006

Brown packages...

For me, there is nothing better than receiving a brown package. Albeit, surprise brown packages are always the best. Masked in their caramel facade lies a treasure that is never certain, but the impending joy of discovering the contents beneath the unwelcoming tape is priceless. I should probably insert a disclaimer to the reader that I was fully well aware of what was inside the package I received on Monday at my desk. I had ordered two books from Amazon.com: Haruki Murakami's "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman" and Jeffrey Sachs' "The End Of Poverty," books that I had been hearing good things about and would probably be the source of stimulating, sleepless nights (if my job wasn't enough already). After signing the courier's slip, I proceeded to open the box only to find two pristine books, ensconced in their shipping entrails. I discarded the sundry articles and beheld the prized possessions. The ensuing catharsis was enough to create a butterfly effect of merriment, but I restrained its sphere of influence to just my cubicle for the time being. Anyhow, the moral of the story is that cheating and creating temporary happiness is possible through online purchases (idea: brick-and-mortar stores need to give out brown boxes instead of bags...content consumers mean more consumption).

On to more random news:

My co-worker ingeniously crafted a sign that any worker could present to their staffer.

I am retired.
(I was tired yesterday and I am tired today.)

No comments: