I stop following politics for a couple weeks and lo and behold, i come back, only to find that it is still a lumbering, illogical, trainwreck.
First, I think the President has so far greatly stumbled on arguing for healthcare reform by letting Congress decide and secondly, I am vehemently opposed to taxing the "wealthy" involuntarily to fund universal healthcare. I am for healthcare reform and a public option, but there have to be better solutions to find the funding.
Secondly, there are idiots on both sides of the aisle. All this outrage over the President reading to our schoolchildren. LAME. Bush Sr. did it. Reagan did it. Conservatives/Republicans, accept that President Obama is your President. Plus, he's releasing the innocuous speech beforehand. I thought education and hard work were conservative values the last time I checked.
Thirdly, the last thing I am going to vent about is the teaching system. Why do bad teachers get to teach? Tenure is for all intensive purposes a terrible thing. Yes, one or two teachers will be let go by a prejudiced principal, but overall good performers will be able to argue their record. I am not a big fan of teacher unions. From a business perspective, if you have people who are not performing, you let them go and find someone better. Having to go through a complex, long process to fire a bad teacher is absolutely ridiculous. Our children don't have the time to wait for our system to change, especially when other nations (i.e. Asian countries) will probably eclipse them in terms of economic progress in this century. Our kids deserve the best, and we should provide them with a clear example of the rewards of living in a meritocratic society, especially in the classroom where they spend their most formative years.
Here's a blog post about this incredibly infuriating subject.
Lighter note: Enjoy this wonderful band who has released one of my favorite albums this year.
The Antlers

No comments:
Post a Comment