(Congee and Rice boxes - not actually my pic, but you get the picture)

So I almost decided to stay in this morning since it was freezing cold, but my high school friend George convinced me otherwise: "Peter, let's go to Congee Village! It has the undisputed best congee in NYC."
Chinese version: Rice congee is a rice porridge, usually mixed with various other vegetables or meat products. It's fairly simple in principle to make: boil rice in lots of water until it turns into a viscous substance, and then add your choice ingredients. Also, it was a staple during hard times for Chinese villagers because it allowed you to stave off famine with minimal rations.
I really can't remember the last time I craved congee, but this morning just seemed auspicious or "just right" according to a certain fairy tale bruin.
Decor: Slightly above the ersatz Chinese imitations, which means attention to detail and possibly attention to food.
Food: Cantonese
Standard fare: Rice and vegetable dishes, sizzling hot plates, seafood, soups, and dim sum
Why I will fight tooth and nail to deter Goldilocks: Any congee, but I ordered the Salted Chicken Rice Congee and Rice with Two Kinds of Chinese Sausage. Yum and it was presented in a cool treasure chest-style box or a coffin, if you're feeling moribund.
Date rating: 6/10 - warm, flavorful congee has to take a relationship to new heights, especially if you're mate is an epicurean.
Price: $30 for 2 people.
Congee Village
207 Bowery St.
New York, NY 10002
(212) 766-2828
In other news:
Colts won!
Sleepwalkers exhibit was interesting. Free rum. Cat Power was inaudible because the hall had bad acoustics although she did play "Remember Me." Rawr.
Here are two more heavy rotation songs:
Basia Bulat - Distance (very excited about her "Oh, My Darling" album release in late April)
The Blow - Parentheses (because I just can't get enough of this lo-fi band)
Klaxons - Golden Skans (my alternative to bands like Panic! at the Disco or Fall Out Boy)

No comments:
Post a Comment