Sunday, December 10, 2006

Food Entry #3: Dinosaur's BBQ and Nicky's Vietnamese Sandwiches



Gallivanting about in NYC for me is like stepping foot into a versatile wine tasting room; there is a myriad of wonderful selections to taste, but if you decide to drink too many at once without savoring one in particular or if you drink too much of one bottle, you risk becoming inebriated from surface overexposure without appreciation of intrinsic beauty or being a cultural idiot savant, respectively. Lately, I've been having a tourist-like proclivity towards the former since I feel that should I stay here only a couple years, and given my work schedule, a little carpe diem might not be a bad philosophy to heed.

Therefore, on this crisp and balmy Sunday, I woke up and thought it might be worthwhile to try out a couple of places on my neverending food list.

Dinosaur's BBQ: bbq joint that I had been seeing on websites, referenced in magazines, and mentioned on message boards. Interior: cabin-lodge style decoration reminiscent of past snowboarding trips (Lake Tahoe, sigh). Bar: A lot of beers on tap. Food: amazing, finger-lickin ribs and the sides of cornbread and mac 'n cheese definitely give credence to the term "soul food." Rocks my socks: the fried green tomatoes with the tangy, creamy ranch sauce on the side. Oohwee, all for the low price of $21. Robbery. Bring a friend and commit a double felony, but hopefully a prisoner's dilemma won't evolve.

(another excuse to go to Harlem)
646 W 131st St.
New York, NY 10027
212-694-1777
Directions

Nicky's Vietnamese Sandwiches: hole-in-the-wall in the East Village.

Order:

Classic Vietnamese Sandwich: Pate, Vietnamese ham, roasted ground pork, pickled carrots, cucumber, cilantro and mayo on a toasted baguette. A criminally low $3.95.

OR

Chicken Sandwich: Chicken, pickled carrots, cucumber, cilantro and mayo on a toasted baguette. $3.95. Booyahkasha.

150 E. 2nd St., New York, NY 10009
between Aves. A and B
212-388-1088

This place reminds me of the soothing hourlong carrides my family and I used to take back in the day from SF to San Jose, which is home to a sizable Vietnamese community. Located along the serial strip malls used to be sidewalk vendors advertising delectable treats such as sesame balls with a yummy red bean filling or my favorite, "three-colored" drinks. Anyhow, if you're a food seeker, don't hesitate to do more research on the South Bay or if you're looking to stay in SF, check out the Tenderloin district.

Songs for a carride back while you're munching away.

Broken Social Scene - 7/4 Shoreline
(Btw: I highly recommend checking out their whole album. This song used to be the background music for countless trips cruising down PCH or around L.A. Its carefree tone, loose vocals and infectious melody are the perfect ingredients for transcendance, throw in a hint of granulated sunshine)


Broken Social Scene - 7/4 Shoreline



Casey Daniel - Doctor Munroe
(in constant rotation right now - can't believe I discovered her this late in the year. Just listen)

No comments: