Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lost


I'm not a rabid Lost fan, but I always found the show at least semi-entertaining. I basically joined the viewing public about two years ago via Netflix/Hulu/ABC News and managed to get up to speed by the series finale this past Sunday. My overall take: thumbs up! I guess if I was obsessed with the show and cared for a plot-driven, zero-mystery show, then I might have been disappointed with the show's ending. Spoiler alert: apparently if you have all your characters die at the end, that's a writer "cop-out". However, I'm more of your mild-mannered fan and the ending hit all the right notes for me: heart-tugging emotional re-connections between the characters, tightly-paced plot with suspenseful moments for most of the show, and final ending moment to clarify the moral of the series.

Here's a critic more well-spoken analysis of the end:

Lost is not a story about an island or a plane crash or a Smoke Monster or some hippie-dippie 70s-era research crew. It's not just a story about a doctor with a God complex and daddy issues or a well-meaning fugitive or a paraplegic with conviction or a conman with great one-liners or an obese lottery winner. It's all that, but it's a also a story about a group of flawed yet lovable people experiencing life and death, pain and suffering, healing and joy in order to experience that moment of Oneness. 

Read the whole thing here.

No comments: