Tarantino's work has been heavily influenced not just by spaghetti Westerns, but by classic movies in general. Inglourious Basterds nods to many of these influences — including '60s spy films and wartime propaganda reels — and movies prove surprisingly crucial to its plot. A movie theater even serves as the final battleground in the film.
None of this is accidental. Tarantino recounts a childhood spent in movie theaters and acting classes as critical to his career as a director and screenwriter. Although he claims his unique writing style — which heavily emphasizes characterization through small talk — comes from his acting studies, he says his journey into directing was basically a departure from acting.
"At a certain point, I just realized that I loved movies too much to simply appear in them. I wanted the movies to be my movies."
Fresh Air is one of my favorite radio programs. As an interviewer, Terry Gross has to rank up there in my top 3. Here's a recent interview with Quentin Tarantino about his movie Inglorious Basterds (which is one of my favorite movies of the year).
Check out the podcast here.


No comments:
Post a Comment