Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Poetry in Action....


(Baron Davis & the Rising Warriors!)


Finally, after 13 ignominious years, we are resurrected and in what glorious fashion. Baron Davis, above, is what I call poetry in action (3rd quarter, whew!).

And now to the literal version:

http://www.bcactionpoet.org/

Billy Collins, a former U.S. poet laureate, writes poetry for the guarded, the unitiated, and even the critical. It may not come as a surprise then that my high school Spanish teacher was the first one to introduce me to his works and peel away the shoddy layers of unfounded machismo, ripening the vulnerable explorer.

I also highly enjoy the short, variegated animations that accompany each reading as they provide color where the casual reader may resign himself to the bookish monochrome of poetry.

Enjoy...

Music:

LCD Soundsystem's latest album "Sound of Silver" has been on massive repeat on my Ipod the past couple weeks. James Murphy is a musical genius in my eyes, and my lids and ears are definitely opening up to the wonderful soundscape of electronic music (never mind Murphy's enjoyable howling). I can't stop thinking that this sound is so of the moment and fresh.

LCD Soundsystem on the Hype!
(download and discover)

On a movie note: "The Lives of Others" is a must-see film. Sherry and I saw it a couple weeks back, and the post-movie discussion was a lot of fun.

No comments: